Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In honor of turkey day approaching...

When I was 8 years old I "adopted" my father's aunt and uncle as my grandparents. They were great and wonderful people and I truly loved them. My Grandpa Charlie passed away first when I was 16. It was a sad loss, but we still had Grandma Alice. She had a wonderful sweet spirit and a lot of spunk and boy oh boy could she cook and bake. YUM! She was best known for her banana bread. It tasted like no other banana bread I'd ever had and she jokingly called it her "ticket in the door" for our family gatherings. Ha ha! She married into our family and didn't have any children, so she always felt it was an act of kindness that we included her. However, we just loved her and holidays were not the same without her. Grandma Alice passed away in the summer of 2006. She was 98 years old! She lived a great life and touched many in her time here on earth.
Last year for Christmas, my sister gathered some of Alice's recipes and put together cookbooks for mom and I. As she was going through all the paper clipped recipes and hand written recipes this one came up. It was written out with her handwriting just like any other recipe. Ha ha! This was so funny to us all, because she was so proper and always appropriate, but every once in awhile she would pop up with something funny and out of character. So I share this with you for a holiday chuckle and if any of you try the recipe let me know how it turns out, LOL! :D

Turkey Dressing

2 cups bread crumbs
1 onion, chopped
6 stalks celery - diced
1 pkg. onion soup mix
2 cups popcorn - unpopped

Mix and stuff turkey. Place in oven at 325 degrees. After 2 hours, get the hell out of the kitchen because the popcorn will "blow the turkeys' ass right out of the oven".

1 comments:

Kelly said...

LOL!!! I was all ready to try me some Turkey Dressing, dangit!