Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finding Joy in the Journey

Ok, so I had a few more thoughts on President Monson's talk about finding joy in the journey. He told us we needed to find joy in the journey , whatever journey we are on, NOW! We need to appreciate our blessings more and to reflect gratitude to our Lord and Savior. Isn't that fantastic???
I think each year I learn to find more joy in my journey. I must admit, the toddler years are not "my thing". I loved the newborn phase until about age 1 and then started really liking them again around 4, maybe 5. LOL! I like to be able to "reason" with my children. Of course I always loved my children, I just am saying that I enjoyed certain phases more than others. I'm sure I won't particularly "like" the kids during their teenage years either, LOL! I think I'm a much better to mom to school aged kids. I'm much better at routines such as homework and chores than I am about tantrums and potty training.
So, I'm not sure if it's because both Stella and Cambria are in school this year or if it's because Kyle is approaching that "reasonable" age...but I'm find myself finding more joy, being more relaxed and enjoying the day to day life more. I still haven't found time for all those elusive projects around the house, but I've found more time to sit down with a pile of books and read them to Kyle.
One area where I could do better at finding joy in the journey is with the young women at church. Ah, yes, the teenagers. Again, I completely love and adore all of them, which is a huge blessing from the Lord no doubt. However, sometimes I get so caught up in the "buisness" aspect of my work with them, that I fail to just have fun with them. Every month we have a youth dance that is about an hour drive. I always go whenever I can and drive any of the girls that want to go. I truly love this time with them. They always share such wonderful things with me and it's so wonderful to see teenagers in this world have joy. Yes, joy! I think that's why I love working with them and why I never seem to mind being with them. They are happy. They are joyful. My children at home are happy and joyful. What better life could I lead. I'm constantly around happy and joyful people!
So, I think I'm doing ok at finding joy in the journey, but we can always improve and so I will seek for more ways to find my joy in my journey each and every day. How about you?

0 comments: