Saturday, October 4, 2008

The need to laugh at ourselves...

So, for those friends and families of mine that are not members of my church...Today was the first day in a two-day semi-anual general conference. This is a wonderful event for me. Our living prophet on the earth speaks to us as well as our other apostles and general leaders. Each speaker prayerfully decides what to address us on and it always amazes me that there is a theme. The topics are always things that I need to hear, it's truly wonderful. Usually there are one or two each day that really stand out to me. Today it was Elder Wirthlin. He is a wonderfully, cute old man who has been forced to give his talks from a chair. He is not able to read his talk very well, so sometimes he stumbles with his words. All in all it is obvious he is still as sharp as a tack. Today he spoke about the need to laugh. Especially at those times of extreme stress. I can be a pretty high strung person at times and I have been known to let things really bother me in the moment before. I would love to laugh more when the going gets tough. So...in honor of Elder Wirthlin, I'm putting together a little list of "silly" things I've done lately that really irked me and I got mad, rather than letting it go. I vow to laugh more about these things:

  • Thursday night I was baking cupcakes for Cambria's school class - I had two different sets going and so set the microwave timer as well as the stove timer. Unfortunately I failed to remember that I always turn the sound off on the microwave, so the timer went off but never sounded. Ha ha! Duh! Luckily my nose caught wind before it was too late!
  • Last night I really thought I was doing well. I had remembered everything and done everything to make Cambria's party at Chuck E Cheese wonderful. I even remembered the camera (not something I always do) and proudly handed it over to Ray when he asked for it. A few minutes later he came back and asked me if I brought the memory card. Duh! Nope!
  • This is just more funny and not really my fault. A couple weeks ago I was out of bread and figured I had enough time to bake some before I had to go to church for mutual. Unfortunately, Ray called and needed me to help him with something that required me to leave earlier. My bread was mixed and was just rising. So, with nothing else to do, I stuck it in a bowl, covered it and put it in the fridge. When I came home that night, I walked by the fridge and there was some dough laying on the ground in front of the fridge. I opened the fridge and saw that the dough has risen too much, but couldn't figure out how the dough got on the floor. Even though it was already late, I didn't want anymore mess, so I layed the dough out, waited for it to rise and baked it. The other odd thing was that there didn't seem to be as much dough as I usually have. The next day I was telling Ray about all this and he had a sheepish look on his face. He told me he came home and opened the fridge and the dough was starting to overflow, so he just - get this - scooped up a handful of dough and threw it in the trash. LOL! OMG! HAHA!!!! So, THAT is how some dough dropped on the floor and THAT is why I didn't have as much dough as usual. Guess I need to teach him how to punch dough down, haha!

Well, that's it for me. If you want to - leave me a comment and tell me a funny story or a duh moment lately. I promise to laugh with you and not at you....really...LOL!

3 comments:

nagmagnet said...

Yep...I have a funny from Taty and me. She won her volleyball game on Thursday. We were all so excited and happy and climbed into the van to head out to the orchard to film Tasha's monologue. When we got there, I asked her to get her back pack out of the back end and start her homework. That'd be great, except both of us forgot it at the game. Dad went back later and it was sitting on the court along with her drum. Duh!

Melanie said...

Yeah! So glad you're blogging! I will have tons of fun reading your blog.

Kelly said...

I have no funny stories, just wanted to say I am glad you started a blog for me to read hahaha.
Love, your blog stalker